Informatic Unit (IU) provides hardware and software support to all scientific, technical and research activities of the laboratory staff.
In order to fulfill the several laboratory requirements, IU manages a computers and devices network, which can be configured for dedicated specific tasks, installed into a professional rack cabinet located in the machine room of the CNR Research Area in Pisa.
IU is also devoted to the development and management of the SI-Lab Websites and social media accounts.
Equipment & Tools
- Brocade switch. The switch has 48 standard ports and 4 10-Gigabit ports;
- Supercomputing cluster. The cluster machines are all reacheable through the ISTI network and share each other a private network. The private network is used to share computing jobs through the cluster itself and to manage a network file system in order to avoid huge data transfer operations. The cluster is composed of:
- 7 Mac-mini;
- 1 Mac pro;
- 1 Server Supermicro;
- Server Supermicro configured with XenServer in order to manage several Virtual Machines;
- OwnCloud server (equipped with 2 TeraByte disk) to share, among the staff, documents, articles, presentations algorythms, deliverables, etc;
- FreeNAS network disk (2 TeraByte) to archive old work materials such as documents, articles, presentations algorythms, deliverables, etc.