Funded under: POR CReO 2007 - 2013 - Regione Toscana
Sicurezza ferroviaria e Infrastruttura per la Mobilità applicate ai Passaggi a LivEllo
From 2012-12-28 duration 24 months
SIMPLE goal is to implement a prototype which aims at achieving the following two ambitious targets:
- to increase railway safety in the area around the level crossings;
- management of the traffic flow in urban areas, integrating the level crossing with the mobility system.
Regarding the first objective, currently, the railroad crossings in Italy are not managed with any technological security system; therefore, the introduction of sensors based on radar technology is a remarkable advancement compared to the state of art. For the second objective, the SIMPLE platform will be an innovative ICT solution, which can collect heterogeneous data regarding people's mobility, provided either by actual physical infrastructure, such as those produced by mobility and transport (sensors, cameras, RFID ...), and by the virtual traces left on the web.
From a functional point of view, SIMPLE consists in the following components:
- Railway Safety:
- radar sensors to monitor railway crossing;
- advanced technologies sensors in order to support the radar sensors (cameras, RFID, ...);
- detection of dangerous situations (movable or stationary obstacles on the railway line, mechanical failures or level crossing system malfunctions);
- communication between the train onboard systems and the remote systems, in order to activate the appropriate emergency procedures, related to the severity of the emergency detected.
- Mobility management :
- data collection about the train transits in order to estimate the evolution of the railway crossing and to provide appropriate information;
- detection and storage of the railway level crossing status, in order to predict the waiting time based both on statistical and real time data;
- acquisition of the train timetables and their positions both estimated and actual in order to integrate them with the information from traffic forecasting algorithms;
- sensors and hardware devices for collection, transmission and storage of heterogeneous data (flow of the area sorrounding the railway crossing, traffic congestion level near the railway crossing, waiting time etc);
- Web-based software system for the collection of data from social networks;
- services platform which provides: travel time information, alternative routes computation, real time warnings about critical situations in the monitored area, length of the queued vehicles nearby the railway crossing. These services will be provided both via web (portals, social networks) and via variable message road signs placed in the monitored area;
- software platform for modeling and simulation of the monitored area, in order to assess the impact on the area and predict the evolution of rail and road mobility in normal and emergency situations.